Permanent / Fixed Term
Third Kind Games is a growing, independent game developer based in the heart of the Midlands games industry, Royal Leamington Spa.
The company was founded in 2016 by industry veterans from the likes of Activision, Codemasters, Sony, Crytek, and many more. As a former Activision team they were responsible for critically acclaimed titles such as Guitar Hero Live and DJ Hero.
The business focuses on emerging technologies and greenfield projects. The team are dynamic, creative, fast moving, and able to explore new ground in an ever changing industry landscape.
The latest title in development is Blankos Block Party (www.blankos.com), a collectables game using block-chain technology, where the player can build their own worlds, create their own MMO gameplay, and blend their Blankos to create totally unique new characters.
As a Senior Game Designer, you will be responsible for generating and exploring ideas, identifying gameplay potential, writing and maintaining design documentation and communicating these designs to the wider team. Successful candidates will be highly creative and show a strong passion for games, gameplay mechanics and other aspects of game design.
- You will take responsibility for specific areas of the game design and work closely with all disciplines to implement features that deliver on the overall game vision.
- You will design game mechanics, core loops and game systems that are fun to play.
- You will write high-quality documentation to deliver coherent and compelling visions of game features.
- You will be expected to carry out comparative analysis of other relevant games, determining what makes them great, what can be learned from them and communicate this information to the team.
- You will make useful contributions to our creative planning sessions, scrums, and retrospectives and help us drive the development of our projects and the team.
- You have an excellent understanding of the design principles behind games, with experience in many different areas of game design.
- You will be motivated by creative freedom, ground-breaking challenges, and unknown territory.
- You will hold a good knowledge and familiarity with a wide variety of games both modern and classic.
- You will stay in touch with emerging technologies and industry movements.
- You will be able to collaborate and communicate well with team members to realise a shared vision.
- You will be able to talk and write enthusiastically about game ideas, championing their potential.
- 5+ years industry experience in game design positions on at least 3 published AAA titles.
- Strong, passionate communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability working in a team.
- Proven ability to write concise, well-written and compelling design documentation.
- Proven ability to design fun gameplay features that keeps players wanting more.
- (Desired) Experience working on all stages of a project, from concept to launch.
- (Desired) Experience with modern console development
Royal Leamington Spa is a well known hub for game development in the UK. It has become known as Silicon Spa for its booming population of game developers and businesses, and it has a rich history in game development dating back over 30 years. It is a beautiful spa town with great shopping, dining, and recreational spaces, situated close to Warwick, Shakespeare’s Stratford, and the Cotswolds.
The company has recently moved to a charming new office located directly in the centre of Royal Leamington Spa, just a 1 minute walk from the shops and cafes.
Applications, CVs and other personal details collected during the recruitment process will be processed in accordance with the policy outlined in our Job Applicant Privacy Notice. Tick here to confirm that you have read and agree to this notice.