Permanent / Fixed Term
Third Kind Games is a growing, independent game developer based in the heart of the Midlands games industry, Royal Leamington Spa.
The company was founded in 2016 by industry veterans from the likes of Activision, Codemasters, Sony, Crytek, and many more. As a former Activision team they were responsible for critically acclaimed titles such as Guitar Hero Live and DJ Hero.
The business focuses on emerging technologies and greenfield projects. The team are dynamic, creative, fast moving, and able to explore new ground in an ever changing industry landscape.
The latest title in development is Blankos Block Party (www.blankos.com), a collectables game using block-chain technology, where the player can build their own worlds, create their own MMO gameplay, and blend their Blankos to create totally unique new characters.
As a Level Designer, you will be responsible for building and editing game environments, as well as implementing and tuning gameplay features, to produce a world that is great fun to play in. Successful candidates will also show a strong passion for games, gameplay mechanics and other aspects of game design.
- You will be working with a highly experienced team on all areas of the game, with a particular focus on the creation of game environments and the development of the in-game level editor.
- You will design, create and configure gameplay items to be fun and compelling to use, with opportunities for emergent gameplay.
- You will be responsible for the design and creation of curated levels.
- You will be expected to carry out comparative analysis of other relevant games, determining what makes them great, what can be learned from them and communicate this information to the team.
- You will create high quality design documentation, working closely with your colleagues and other disciplines to deliver a vision for the game.
- You will make useful contributions to our creative planning sessions, scrums, and retrospectives and help us drive the development of the project and the team.
- You will stay in touch with emerging technologies and industry movements.
- You will hold a good knowledge and familiarity with a wide variety of games from the last few years.
- You will be able to talk and write enthusiastically about your ideas, to rally customers and colleagues to them and realise your vision.
- You will be motivated by creative freedom, ground-breaking challenges, and unknown territory.
- You will prefer a creative, open-thinking environment over one driven by specs and detailed requirements.
- You will have a passion and enthusiasm for working on a wide variety of tasks.
- 1+ years' experience in a similar role or a relevant University degree.
- 1+ years' experience working with Unity or a similar engine.
- Proven ability working in a team.
- Proven ability to write concise, well-written and compelling designs.
- Proven ability to create fun gameplay that keep players wanting more.
- (Desired) Experience with basic C# scripting.
Royal Leamington Spa is a well known hub for game development in the UK. It has become known as Silicon Spa for its booming population of game developers and businesses, and it has a rich history in game development dating back over 30 years. It is a beautiful spa town with great shopping, dining, and recreational spaces, situated close to Warwick, Shakespeare’s Stratford, and the Cotswolds.
The company has recently moved to a charming new office located directly in the centre of Royal Leamington Spa, just a 1 minute walk from the shops and cafes.
Applications, CVs and other personal details collected during the recruitment process will be processed in accordance with the policy outlined in our Job Applicant Privacy Notice. Tick here to confirm that you have read and agree to this notice.