Permanent / Fixed Term
Third Kind Games is a growing, independent game developer based in the heart of the Midlands games industry, Royal Leamington Spa.
The company was founded in 2016 by industry veterans from the likes of Activision, Codemasters, Sony, Crytek, and many more. As a former Activision team they were responsible for critically acclaimed titles such as Guitar Hero Live and DJ Hero.
The business focuses on emerging technologies and greenfield projects. The team are dynamic, creative, fast moving, and able to explore new ground in an ever changing industry landscape.
The latest title in development is Blankos Block Party (www.blankos.com), a collectables game using block-chain technology, where the player can build their own worlds, create their own MMO gameplay, and blend their Blankos to create totally unique new characters.
As an IT technician you will be responsible for the smooth operation of our workstations, servers and cloud infrastructure. You will face new challenges on a regular basis and will be a key player in supporting the development technologies which are used to create our games. You will have the opportunity to evolve our IT infrastructure and support the expansion of our studio.
- You will tackle general hardware and software support tickets from the team.
- You will troubleshoot system and network problems and solve software faults.
- You will build and configure new workstations, development hardware and server solutions.
- You will perform regular audits of equipment and software licenses.
- You will evaluate new technology and maintain recommended specifications for development hardware and infrastructure.
- You will manage user accounts and permissions, and be responsible for end-user security, including the removal of spyware and deployment of effective anti-virus solutions.
- You will maintain backup processes and ensure that backups can be restored successfully.
- You will configure a range of server based software systems (including databases, web servers and developer tools such as Perforce and Confluence).
- You will analyse system logs and performance metrics of servers in order to identify potential issues.
- You will assess the security risks of software systems, the firewall and network. You will configure security features (such as SSL) and keeps server versions current.
- You will measure and monitor key performance, scalability and reliability metrics for IT infrastructure.
- You stay abreast of emerging technologies and industry movements.
- You enjoy working with a lot of different technologies, and have a keen desire to learn new ones.
- You are adept at communicating with colleagues and customers to work well as a team.
- You are a natural problem solver and enjoy troubleshooting new issues.
- You have a strong passion for games and/or enjoy working in a creative environment.
- You have a passion and enthusiasm for working on a wide variety of tasks.
- You have a desire to learn new skills and take on additional responsibilities as you gain experience.
- 1+ years of experience in a similar role or a relevant University degree.
- Experience administering and configuring the Windows 10 operating system.
- A working knowledge of the key components in a desktop computer and the ability to construct a PC from component parts.
- An understanding of the key security risks which may affect a business and its IT operations.
- Proven ability to setup and configure a server side technology (such as a web-server, database or version control system).
- (Desired) Microsoft Technology Associate, greater or equivalent qualification.
- (Desired) Competency in Linux system administration
- (Desired) Experience managing IT infrastructure in AWS or other cloud based providers.
- (Desired) Ability to write basic computer scripts in a language such as Powershell or python.
- (Desired) Experience with automation software such as puppet or chef and documents the set-up and configuration of IT systems
Royal Leamington Spa is a well known hub for game development in the UK. It has become known as Silicon Spa for its booming population of game developers and businesses, and it has a rich history in game development dating back over 30 years. It is a beautiful spa town with great shopping, dining, and recreational spaces, situated close to Warwick, Shakespeare’s Stratford, and the Cotswolds.
The company has recently moved to a charming new office located directly in the centre of Royal Leamington Spa, just a 1 minute walk from the shops and cafes.
Applications, CVs and other personal details collected during the recruitment process will be processed in accordance with the policy outlined in our Job Applicant Privacy Notice. Tick here to confirm that you have read and agree to this notice.