Permanent / Fixed Term
Third Kind Games is a growing, independent game developer based in the heart of the Midlands games industry, Royal Leamington Spa.
The company was founded in 2016 by industry veterans from the likes of Activision, Codemasters, Sony, Crytek, and many more. As a former Activision team they were responsible for critically acclaimed titles such as Guitar Hero Live and DJ Hero.
The business focuses on emerging technologies and greenfield projects. The team are dynamic, creative, fast moving, and able to explore new ground in an ever changing industry landscape.
The latest title in development is Blankos Block Party (www.blankos.com), a collectables game using block-chain technology, where the player can build their own worlds, create their own MMO gameplay, and blend their Blankos to create totally unique new characters.
As a Game Designer, you will be responsible for designing, documenting and fine-tuning game features that result in a fun experience for our players. Successful candidates will balance creativity with attention to detail, and show a strong passion for games, game mechanics and other aspects of game design.
- You will design, setup and balance game features and mechanics to give players the best possible experience.
- You will work closely with other disciplines on feature implementation, upholding the design vision.
- You will write high-quality documentation to deliver coherent and compelling visions of game features.
- You will be expected to carry out comparative analysis of other relevant games, determining what makes them great, what can be learned from them and communicate this information to the team.
- You will make useful contributions to our creative planning sessions, scrums, and retrospectives and help us drive the development of our projects and the team.
- You have an understanding of the design principles behind games, with an interest in many different areas of game design.
- You will strive to create fun gameplay, championing player experience.
- You will be motivated by creative freedom, ground-breaking challenges, and unknown territory.
- You will hold a good knowledge and familiarity with a wide variety of games.
- You will be able to collaborate and communicate well with team members to realise a shared vision.
- 2+ years industry experience in game design positions on at least 1 published AAA title.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability working in a team.
- Proven ability to design fun gameplay features that keeps players wanting more.
- Proven ability to write concise, well-written and compelling design documentation.
- (Desired) Experience with Unity.
- (Desired) Experience with other engines such as Lumberyard and Unreal.
Royal Leamington Spa is a well known hub for game development in the UK. It has become known as Silicon Spa for its booming population of game developers and businesses, and it has a rich history in game development dating back over 30 years. It is a beautiful spa town with great shopping, dining, and recreational spaces, situated close to Warwick, Shakespeare’s Stratford, and the Cotswolds.
The company has recently moved to a charming new office located directly in the centre of Royal Leamington Spa, just a 1 minute walk from the shops and cafes.
Applications, CVs and other personal details collected during the recruitment process will be processed in accordance with the policy outlined in our Job Applicant Privacy Notice. Tick here to confirm that you have read and agree to this notice.