Permanent / Fixed Term
Third Kind Games, or TKG as we call it, is a growing, independent game developer based in Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, the heart of the UK games industry.
The founders of TKG have extensive experience in the development of critically acclaimed titles such as Guitar Hero Live and DiRT . TKG was founded in 2016 in response to an industry which needed a fresh, agile approach to games development. In fact, our Founders built their careers at studios with Activision, Codemasters, Sony, Crytek and more.
TKG focuses on emerging technologies and greenfield projects, supported by a dynamic and creative team who are able to explore new ground in this ever changing landscape.
Our latest title in development is Blankos Block Party (https://www.blankos.com), a collectables game using block-chain technology, where the player can build their own worlds, create their own MMO gameplay, and blend their Blankos to create totally unique new characters.
We are always expanding and we are looking for others to join us as Third Kinders.
What is it like to be a Third Kinder?
Third Kinders are a diverse team of people. They are collaborative, high performers who embrace ideas and knowledge from everyone in the TKG family, with the aim of developing and inspiring ourselves and our games.
Work life balance and flexibility are very important to us and our team. We also actively encourage our teams to explore their creativity outside of work on their own projects.
As a Console Programmer, you will be responsible for porting and developing all areas of the game client on console platforms, and championing the game through console release.
- You will be responsible for porting all features of the game to console, adding platform features, and guiding the game through console submission cycles.
- You will be working with a highly experienced team on all areas of the game, both client and server.
- You will design, plan and develop high quality code systems, working closely with the other disciplines to ensure that the console versions of the game are the best they can be.
- You will play an active role in bug fixing and helping the team to deliver milestones.
- You will make useful contributions to our creative planning sessions, scrums, and retrospectives and help us drive the development of the project and the team.
- You will have a passion for console development and a technologically creative mindset.
- You will enjoy low level work such as performance optimisations and memory management.
- You will understand and enjoy the challenge of console submission requirements.
- You will stay abreast of emerging technologies and industry movements.
- You will enjoy working with a lot of different technologies, and have a keen desire to learn new ones.
- You will be motivated by creative freedom, ground-breaking challenges, and unknown territory.
- You will prefer a creative, open-thinking environment over one driven by specs and detailed requirements.
- You will have a passion and enthusiasm for working on a wide variety of tasks.
- You will be adept at communicating with colleagues and customers to work well as a team.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- 3+ years' industry experience and shipped at least 2 AAA console titles.
- 3+ years' C++ or C# experience.
- Strong skills in Visual Studio and Perforce.
- Proven debugging and critical analysis skills.
- Proven performance optimisation skills.
- Proven ability working in a team.
- Strong understanding of console submission requirements.
- Experience with Unity.
- (Desired) Experience with other engines such as Lumberyard and Unreal.
Royal Leamington Spa is a well known hub for game development in the UK. It has become known as Silicon Spa for its booming population of game developers and businesses, and it has a rich history in game development dating back over 30 years. It is a beautiful spa town with great shopping, dining, and recreational spaces, situated close to Warwick, Shakespeare’s Stratford, and the Cotswolds.
The company has recently moved to a charming new office located directly in the centre of Royal Leamington Spa, just a 1 minute walk from the shops and cafes.
Applications, CVs and other personal details collected during the recruitment process will be processed in accordance with the policy outlined in our Job Applicant Privacy Notice. Tick here to confirm that you have read and agree to this notice.
If you think this is the role for you please send us your CV and an introductory email, which helps us to get to know you better. We aim to respond to your application within 2 working days.
Usually we will conduct a telephone interview, prior to any face to face or virtual interviews.